Fråga

mobile bredband slow and unstable

• 2 December 2023
  • 7 svar
  • 72 visningar

Hi, I just setup a new router with your mobile bredband sim card and see the speed is 35-55 mbits. Much slower than what we had with Tele2 (150mbits). I was told it would be at least the double speed of Tele2.

Not only that - the connection is very unstable. Every 15-30 minutes the internet connection is lost, and I have to restart the router to get it back on again.

What’s going on?

Router is new, just bought it today:

7 svar

Användarnivå 7
Emblem +40

@Lukism Hello,

have you tried to place the router in another place in your apartment to see if it works better? 

The router you have purchased supports theoretical speeds up to 150Mbps, which in reality can range between 20-100Mbps. Depending on which router you used with Tele2 it might not be a great comparison. 

It’s placed near a window now - and I can get 70mbits.
Tele2 came in with cable- with a different router:/

Does this mean I need a better router? And is this also causing the instability? 

Användarnivå 7
Emblem +40

@Lukism Okay, the 4G and 5G network uses wireless technology why the performance can vary, in comparison when the connections uses cable. The router you have chosen does not make it possible for the network to deliver double the speed of what you had before due to its limitation. But please note that another router may give you higher speeds - but it also might not since the limitation can be in the network itself. 

Do you have any newer mobile phone which you can put the SIM card in and see what kind of speeds you're getting? iPhone XS, 11, 12 etc. are models that support higher speeds. Also Samsung Galaxy S9, S10 and newer supports higher speeds. 

Thanks for your help @Pettersson! I tried putting the sim in my phone (iPhone 12) but it doesn’t register at all. The phone doesn’t seem to recognize it.

The phone also has a 3 subscription… it gets 500+mbits

Should I just order the Zyxel router from 3? Or get one like it (a 4g-5g router?)

Användarnivå 7
Emblem +40

@Lukism I guess you have a 5G connection on your phone when you get those speeds? If yes, I think the best solution is to get the Zyxel router from Three. 

A router that you've bought from another retailer will probably work as well, as long as it supports the correct frequencies - although a router purchased from the carrier directly will work as it should. 

I also believe that it’ll be difficult to find a 4G/5G router with a better price than what Three sells the Zyxel for. With a broadband subscription you’ll pay 2520SEK for the Zyxel 5103 itself. The subscription cost is not included.

@Pettersson I just called and added the zyxel to my subscription - should get it in a few days. Pretty sure I should have done that from the beginning, eh? Thanks for all your help!

Användarnivå 7
Emblem +40

@Lukism I hope you’ll much better speeds and a more stable connection with the new router! If you want, get back here with an update when you've tested it ⚡️

Svara